Monday, March 23, 2009

Ok, the unemployment thing is driving me crazy already. On the good side, though, I have been getting the chance to catch up on some movies and reading.

This weeked we saw three movies:

Body of Lies:
More political than action. We were looking more for an action flick, so maybe that's why we were a bit disappointed in the movie. It wasn't bad, just not what we were looking for Friday night. Leonardo DiCaprio did a good job, but I preferred Blood Diamond. I'm glad we didn't get a chance to see it in the theater.

Taken:
This was a great action movie, and still made you think a bit. I was ticked at the portrayal of the mom and daughter at the beginning of the movie. Even though the parents were divorced, I think that mom and daughter should have been much more honest about the daughter's trip to Europe. Anyway, over all it was a good movie and I'm glad we saw it in the theater because all the action wouldn't have looked as good on my tv.

Transporter 3:
I have enjoyed the other two transporter movies, so I figured I would enjoy this one and I was not disappointed. Of course there were spots where you just really had to say, well, it's in the script (for instance, since when can you fill a bag with air from the tires to get a car out of a lake?) but it was a great movie for an escape for a couple of hours. This would have been fun to see in the theater, but I'm glad we at least saw it as a rental.

All right, now for books.

The Accidental Werewolf by Dakota Cassidy:
It wasn't a bad book, per se, but I didn't like it. The main character, Marty, just didn't strike me as very likable, but that's probably just because I couldn't relate to her at all. The only thing she seemed to be worried about was make-up and that's just not me. The werewolves seemed interesting, but they were very background-like and underdeveloped, even the main werewolf who was responsible for turning Marty to a werewolf. Of course, she fell in love with him, but there wasn't as much development into their relationship as I thought there could have been. Also, 5-6 pages of sex scenes really didn't seem necessary.

Confessions of A Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella:
I really liked some of her other books, but this one didnt seem as interesting for me. I read the whole thing, and I totally understand being in debt, and not wanting to deal with it, but it seemed too easy at the end. Becky (maybe it's just the name I don't like) is a financial journalist who is completely clueless about her own finances. I can understand that- I worked for a bank. I know how lost people can be, even when you think they should have it together. It was amusing to see her try to get another job to make up her debt, too bad that went terribly. It seemed that she just wanted to find a rich guy to marry so that they could take care of her debt and she wouldnt have to deal with it. She does have a change of heart at the end, sort of, but I think everything was more luck than her changing her ways.

I suppose now I should go and get some work done. I don't know what I'm going to work on, but I should do something. There is a big utility truck right outside, so sleeping isn't going to be an option anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment